[mythtv-users] SOLVED!! Re: video issues with PVR-500

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 04:17:21 UTC 2010



On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:

> Sounds like a powe zap!
>
> I just pulled my PVR 500 out of service.  If you want to buy it from my
> send me a note off list...

So my wife wound up having trouble with her HD Cable box (she's not as into
myth as I am), and she decided to call Time Warner to complain and got a
tech over to the house while I was at work today.  The result was that the
signal was quite weak at my house, perhaps due to all the new connections
made for all the returning college students (I live in Ithaca, NY with about
50% student population).  So while there's no definitive answer, it seems
that my signal level was reduced to the point where the digital cable box
wasn't able to function, which 14also explains why my two PVR-500s were
unable to get enough signal to show good video.  I also have the benefit of
my cable modem giving me a 20mbit connection today, vs the 6mbit connection
I had last week.  So while it sucks I had the weekend without recordings,
I'm happy it ended with a down connection 333% of what it was.  Latency's
also improved, though my up-speed is still about 1mbit.  Overall, a very
happy ending!

Thanks for the comments!

-Josh