[mythtv-users] Better listings for Schedules Direct users. Free! (was Re: another scheduling strangeness/question)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 1 06:28:25 UTC 2010

  On 09/01/2010 01:34 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Michael T. Dean says:
>> However, use of --dd-grab-all has not been optimized, so it can take
>> significantly more CPU and RAM than a "normal" run of
>> mythfilldatabase.  Users with resource-limited backend systems may
>> not be able to use the argument.
> Thanks for the information. My Pentium 4 3.0GHz frontend/master
> backend with 2GB RAM and no swap usage completed a --dd-grab-all run
> in 17 minutes with perhaps 30 seconds of that spent downloading the
> feed. No move in RAM usage according to free -m (about 900MB free on
> the -/+ buffers/cache line); nothing unusual in top. Admittedly I
> wasn't recording anything at the time but I don't expect the option to
> pose an issue; was your warning more directed to those running
> backends on the likes of a Via box with 512MB RAM?

It was directed at everyone as a "test-first--not my fault if things
don't work" type of warning.  Basically, if you choose to use this
argument, you will get the most-current listings possible, but you take
responsibility if it overloads your backend system today or some time in
the future.  :)

In truth, those of us who use this are helping to build up the first
real-world data on how it operates.  So, tales of your experiences--both
good and bad--are appreciated.  Think of it as kind of "beta" testing
the feature.

And, in keeping with that thought, please note that inefficiencies in
the --dd-grab-all code aren't considered bugs.  Optimization is a
planned feature, but if --dd-grab-all proves too much for your hardware,
please don't open tickets for it unless they include patches.  It's not
expected to work for everyone, especially in 0.23-fixes.

Mike