[mythtv-users] Cablevision requiring STB for all TVs in my area soon

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 1 14:12:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Fred <ffluvssg1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that getting CableCards for MythTV is premature, right? I won't be
> able to use them for months, at least.

That's right.  The only release date we have for the hardware is
"later this year", but they're working with the mythtv developers and
support for the hardware is already scheduled to be in the next MythTV
release, even though the hardware isn't here yet.

> What is the current status with Verizon in terms of STB requirements and
> encrypted (or protected) channels?

Some people seem to have a very stable firewire connection to Verizon
STB's and can record a lot of channels flawlessly.  Others have
struggled to get it working and had mixed success.  YMMV.  The HDPVR
is an option that works, but it's somewhat expensive.  If you only
want SD, then you can use your existing cards to encode
composite/S-Video output from an SD STB.

Eric