[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 2 00:14:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 05:26:52 pm Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

>> > It says right on the specs page that its an A4 proc.
>> >
>> > I already plan to buy one, but not for anything mythtv-related.
>>
>> Someone's an Apple fan-boy :)
>>
>> It's a shame it seems to be iLocked like all else recent from apple.  That
>> toy could be so useful otherwise.  Still looks like a cool toy if you have
>> a need for it.
>
> The operative word there is "looks".
>
> I just don't see what's so great about it. For the same money you can get many units that are not locked down, and have
> internal storage as well.
>
> Other than the physical form-factor, what's the big deal? The ability to over-pay for programming and have Apple tell you
> what you can and can't do?

Not going to use it for any programming (except maybe netflix
streaming if I ever get a netflix account again). Mainly just for
streaming music to. All the music in our house is managed in iTunes,
and there are multiple iDevices and Macs that can remotely control
and/or output music to one. I do exactly that with the AppleTV I
already have, and would like to have a second one I can hook up to the
stereo downstairs too. Sure, I could get a squeeze player or
something. But its nowhere near as tightly integrated as iTunes, and
iPhone and an AppleTV. So I guess for me, its more just an
AppleMusicOutputDevice than an AppleTV, with the added bonus that it
can also do other things, if I want.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com