[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 00:47:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jarod, can I suggest trying the softsqueeze player and adding that to
>>> your front ends and a having the squeezeserver on your backend.
>>
>> One major problem with that approach: requires leaving the myth box on
>> all the time, which I've stopped doing. Why have such a power-hungry
>> system on 24/7 if it doesn't need to be? The power supply even on the
>> ASRock ION330 HT box I've got is 65W. The new AppleTV draws 6W. Heck,
>> I might get two of them, and replace the older one I already have,
>> just for the power savings. :)
>
> That makes sense.  I have a single combined FE/BE, so it pretty much
> has to be on all the time.

There is nothing revolutionary about the hardware that saves power..
If we all had an iphone in a pc case, im sure we could say the same..
I'm personally not too excited about getting something apple that is
obviously discounted on the hardware so I know they are banking on the
money back on services.  Don't get me wrong, they have done some
things that have changed the industry(s), but I do not buy into it.
As much as I like their hardware designs, I always end up throwing
linux on it  :)