[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 2 00:52:06 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 06:30:07 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 2 September 2010 09:36, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > The operative word there is "looks".
> >
> > I just don't see what's so great about it. For the same money you can get
> > many units that are not locked down, and have internal storage as well.
>
> Really? which one can you get ?

I have a couple of these:

http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

They will handle MKV, as well as ISOs, VOBs, VIDEO_TS directories, any codec or container I've tried, basically anything I
have ever thrown at it works. Even m2ts BR rips play just fine.

Not limited to 720p either.

Also works with UPnP/DLNA servers, so it can do Netflix with PlayOn.

IOW, MUCH more capable than the Apple unit appears to be, for less money. Even an available SDK, you're not likely to get
that from Apple.

There's the Popcorn Hour, and many other NMTs, the WD unit, and others.

So it's typical Apple, over-priced and limited capability.

Apple does do some things right, but having been burned twice by their abandoning support for products I have purchased, I
tend to be leery. Having a product I bought less than 5 years ago no longer supported by their OS just bothers me (G5
iMac).