[mythtv-users] YAFEP Yet Another Front End Possibility

Keith Pyle kpyle at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 02:36:42 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:

> Looks like another entry in the frontend race. With the Broadcom CrystalHD module it > might make a good one. Bit pricey
> though:

> http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9a19

I have a MSI-945GSE (http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9830), which is the same CPU (N270 - single core) and chipset (945GSE), and is fanless.  The MS-9A19 board seems quite similar as both have DVI video, dual Gb NIC's, mini-PCIe, dual SATA, four RS-232, etc.  The MSI-945GSE system pulls 10 watts at full CPU.

There are differences, with the MSI-945GSE having more I/O.  The MSI-945GSE has DVI-D and analog video, IDE, parallel, and 6 USB  (it was considered an "industrial" board and most of the connectors are on the back panel).  The MS-9A19 has DVI-I, no analog, no IDE, no parallel, and 4 USB.

I can't comment on either system as a FE, but the MSI-945GSE makes a nice firewall with the dual NIC's.

Keith