[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 2 02:51:32 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 07:41:58 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On 2 September 2010 10:52, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >> I have a couple of these:
> >>
> >> http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=6
> >
> > Build-in torrents :)
> >
> > How cool !

I've never used it, there's also a usenet downloader, which I have also never used.

> > Still can't stream legally obtained online content (movies that is)
>
> Not directly, no, but Brian does have a work-around for netflix.
> Granted, it requires another system, drawing power, and running
> Windows.

Not just Netflix, PlayOn lets you use Hulu, CBS.com. PBS, Discovery channel, ESPN, MTV and many others. There are also
third-party plugins that deliver other things, and, for the hacker types, an easy method of getting your own content
ideas. Also will do local files.

Also the usual NMT stuff, network news shows (delayed), things like Revision3 and all that free stuff.

Granted having to run a fairly beefy Windows box is a *big* drawback, but I don't think you are ever going to see a pure
Linux Netflix solution, and if you are running that anyway you might as well take advantage of the additional services. It
does run in an XP VM, so if you have anything (main household server?) big running already, the additional power is
minimal.

It's more capability for less money than Apple's offering, and I already have the hardware to make it work.

Gaining the mainstream market may or may not be a good thing from my point of view. More contention for bandwidth on the
local ISP and the net in general, as well as the provider's servers. Apple may be overestimating the capability of the
infrastructure, just like they did with ATT and the iPhone.