[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:12:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM, David Rees <drees76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>> One major problem with that approach: requires leaving the myth box on
>>> all the time, which I've stopped doing. Why have such a power-hungry
>>> system on 24/7 if it doesn't need to be? The power supply even on the
>>> ASRock ION330 HT box I've got is 65W. The new AppleTV draws 6W. Heck,
>>> I might get two of them, and replace the older one I already have,
>>> just for the power savings. :)
>>
>> That makes sense.  I have a single combined FE/BE, so it pretty much
>> has to be on all the time.
>
> No, it doesn't - my combined system is off for 12-18 hours/day.  Most
> of the programming I watch comes on around 9pm-12pm which also is
> typically when I watch recordings.

If you want to use mythweb, which is my primary (actually, only) way
of setting recordings, it needs to be on all the time.  I can't tell
you how many times I have been someplace, heard of a show, and set
mythweb to record it.  If I didn't do it at that moment, I would
probably forget all about it.

I have taking advice of this list to heart when building a new system
and just built a nice box using a Sempron processor that should only
draw 45 W.  I hardly ever use the optical drive and of course I use a
HD (and will use a second when I transfer the system to that drive to
follow the recommended use case of having recordings on a separate
spindle).  I will know next month if that has decreased my power bill
at all.