[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 2 13:01:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 02:38:57PM -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 01/09/2010 1:15 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> >As you say, it would be nice to be able to run a Myth F/E on it, but
> >I suspect they will try to lock it down like an iPhone or iPad.
>
> Given that reports state it's running iOS4, the same OS as the iPhone
> and iPad, chances are it's already locked down that hard.

    Well, it's not that hard to unlock the other PhoneOS devices. The
real question becomes: "why bother". Likely, the CPU is not nearly as
good as the old AppleTV and it's not upgradeable like the old one
either.

    It could be an interesting little mini server in general though.
Once jailbroken, I would put it in the same category as the Sheva Plug.

    Even with proper GPU drivers, it's probably not going to decode the
most interesting h264 content that a lot of us have.