[mythtv-users] Help! 0.23-fixes stopped recording after 2 months!

Chris Stevens chris at mindblow.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 14:20:51 UTC 2010

Have been running MythTv for 7 years and, earlier this year, upgraded to
0.23-fixes. All went perfectly and all was functioning fine for a
couople of months. Then, on 27th August, programs suddenly stopped
recording. There would be no error regarding the recording, but the file
was not created.

The storage groups specify /u/tv for Default and /u/livetv for LiveTV. I
can watch live tv and a file will appear in /u/livetv. All storage group
directories are chown mythtv:mythtv. The OS is Mandriva 2010.0 and Myth
0.23-fixes is compiled. I have double-checked the storage groups and
have used mysql-admin to check the database and mysql-query-browser to
investigate all table. Everything is fine: the entries for the duff
files exist in 'recorded' but with file size of zero. I have had to
delete these recordings since the error logging about them not existing
becomes exponential and really slows things down.

There are no permission problems. I didn't used to have a separate
storage group for livetv  - I added one to see if it would work, and it
does. What's really mysterious is that I added a new storage group
(RecordedTV - /u/tv2010) and set a recording going on that group and
that didn't work either.

The only clue I have is that the file system is large: /u is mount point
for /dev/md0 which is RAID5 5.4TB (ext4) and the occupied space is
3.6TB. I recently had a problem with k3b which will not rip a DVD to a
filesystem which had a similar used space - though the fs is that case
was oracle cluster fs. K3b would rip fine, then it suddenly stopped when
the fs used space exceeded a certain value.

Does anyone know of any specifics for this file system limitation or any
other clue as to the nature of this bizarre behaviour? I have never had
a problem with Myth that I couldn't crack - 'till now!

Chris Stevens