[mythtv-users] Help! 0.23-fixes stopped recording after 2 months!

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 2 17:51:10 UTC 2010

On 2010 September 2 08:20:51 Chris Stevens wrote:
> Have been running MythTv for 7 years and, earlier this year, upgraded to
> 0.23-fixes. All went perfectly and all was functioning fine for a
> couople of months. Then, on 27th August, programs suddenly stopped
> recording. There would be no error regarding the recording, but the file
> was not created.
>
> The storage groups specify /u/tv for Default and /u/livetv for LiveTV. I
> can watch live tv and a file will appear in /u/livetv. All storage group
> directories are chown mythtv:mythtv. The OS is Mandriva 2010.0 and Myth
> 0.23-fixes is compiled. I have double-checked the storage groups and
> have used mysql-admin to check the database and mysql-query-browser to
> investigate all table. Everything is fine: the entries for the duff
> files exist in 'recorded' but with file size of zero. I have had to
> delete these recordings since the error logging about them not existing
> becomes exponential and really slows things down.
>
> There are no permission problems. I didn't used to have a separate
> storage group for livetv  - I added one to see if it would work, and it
> does. What's really mysterious is that I added a new storage group
> (RecordedTV - /u/tv2010) and set a recording going on that group and
> that didn't work either.
>
> The only clue I have is that the file system is large: /u is mount point
> for /dev/md0 which is RAID5 5.4TB (ext4) and the occupied space is
> 3.6TB. I recently had a problem with k3b which will not rip a DVD to a
> filesystem which had a similar used space - though the fs is that case
> was oracle cluster fs. K3b would rip fine, then it suddenly stopped when
> the fs used space exceeded a certain value.
>
> Does anyone know of any specifics for this file system limitation or any
> other clue as to the nature of this bizarre behaviour? I have never had
> a problem with Myth that I couldn't crack - 'till now!
>
> Chris Stevens

Just speculation here, but your point about file system size got me thinking.
3.6TB in bytes gives a 42 bit number, and in kilobytes it's a 33 bit number.
It's possible that in trying to calculate available space programs such as k3b
are overflowing a variable and crashing as a result. Can't really say without
examining the code, but the 33 bit number of kilobytes certainly sounds
suspicious as a possible cause.

Shocky
--
Disclaimer: I speak for no one but myself