[mythtv-users] TiVo Slide Remote, Linux and Scan Codes

jmk jmk at foofus.net
Thu Sep 2 22:18:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 05:11 +0100, Jason Chambers wrote:
> The PS3 bluetooth remote has a similar problem. Although every key is
> given a different scancode, some of these are above 255 (i.e. more  than
> one byte) and from what I read on various pages it didn't sound like
> they can be used in the normal way yet until XKB2 is added to Xorg (I
> know nothing about X11 so that could be completely wrong though!)
>
> Anyways, the kitlaan patch for bluez adds the ability to have a mapping
> table in /etc/bluetooth/input.conf to override the compiled-in defaults,
> allowing you to choose what keyboard key is generated for each remote
> button.
>
> Maybe something similar could be done for the TiVo remote.

I've played with stuff a bit, but I'm a total newb when it comes to
bluetooth and/or hacking input devices.

The TiVo remote shipped with a USB BT adapter. My understanding is that
devices like these are often performing USB HID emulation and simply
appear to Linux as a keyboard/mouse, with no access to its bluetooth
functionality. Based on what I'm seeing in dmesg and elsewhere, this
seems to be the case.

Based on my (limited) understanding, I see two primary paths:

1) Hack USB HID kernel support for non-working keys

The dmesg output references a hidraw device tied to the "USB HID
Keypad". Reading from this device (e.g. /dev/hidraw5), I get results for
all keys on the remote. I'm taking this as a good thing. ;)

I'm assuming that modifications could be made to the usbhid module to
handle these keys. I'm guessing the code in hid-quirks.c is related to
this type of challenge.

Does this make sense? Anyone have a good guide for making these types of
tweaks?

2) Capture bluetooth communications to support keys

To go the PS3 route, I believe I either need to switch the TiVo adapter
into native bluetooth (HCI) mode or pair the remote with another
bluetooth adapter. I'm not sure yet how to do the former and the obvious
downside to the latter is that the frontend may not have built-in
bluetooth. I've also failed in my attempts to pair the remote to
something other than the adapter it shipped with.

Thoughts?

Joe