[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 2 22:18:36 UTC 2010

On Thursday, September 02, 2010 04:08:36 pm Greg Oliver wrote:

> j/k - in all seriousness I see both sides - they do make it easier for
> the average Joe to accomplish things that noone subscribed to this
> list should have issues with..  Other than figuring out how to use
> iTunes with more than apple products  :)

Remember that iTunes is available for Windows (though not Linux).

It remains to be seen if Apple will make it easy for folks to use the new ATV device with a Windows system. I don't think
they are going to win converts to OS/X with the ATV, unless they loosen up and release it for non-Apple hardware.

Of course the Linux world is not free of problems. The new UbuntuOne, including its Music Store, is apparently not easily
usable with the KDE Desktop. We all know that Canonical has always been pretty Gnome-Centric, but I would have thought
that a venture hoping to make money with Linux would acknowledge that there are multiple desktops for Linux. The Linux
world is not large enough to permit fracturing it to be a viable business model.

The fact that Myth is not tied to any specific desktop (or any desktop at all for that matter) is one of its great
features.