[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

JWA jwa at macbidouille.com
Thu Sep 2 23:11:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 15:54, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 02, 2010 04:37:27 pm Dewey Smolka wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>>  I found France 24, I get it with SPB TV on my Blackberry. I suspect
>> anyone watching Al Jazeera in the US winds on on some
>>
>> > government list of "persons of interest". I'll look into RT.
>>
>> Way OT, but I guy I went to school with helped Al Jazeera set up their
>> DC bureau a few years back. They've actually got quite a high standard
>> of journalistic integrity -- most of the English-language staff came
>> from the BBC, and they seem to base their editorial and style guides
>> on the World Service.
>>
>> Yes, even mentioning Al Jazeera is enough to raise eyebrows (or worse)
>> in the US, but they're a far more responsible news organization than
>> Fox, or even CNN. It's a real shame that no cable/sat carrier that I'm
>> aware of will carry them in the US.
>
> I have heard the same, Al Jazeera is a responsible news organization, that has not fallen into the "infotainment" trap. My
> friends at CNN despair at what has happened to that network, but as they say, they have to eat.
>
> Of course the US wants even people in the middle-east to watch the puppet network El-Arabia, or the Arab News Network,
> both of which are pretty much worthless as far as "news".
>
> It's a sad state of affairs when I have to worry more about my own government monitoring me than I do about being attacked
> from the outside, but I am certain that routinely watching Al Jazeera would not be good for me. Even if it's not true
> (though I believe it is), just the fact that I have to be concerned about it is disappointing to say the least.

You can get Al Jazeera and RT with a Free-to-Air satellite system
(they are on Galaxy 19).  So nobody would be able to know that you're
tuning in.  I've been tempted to get a FTA satellite system for the
international news stations, but since they are available online and
my cable provider (TimeWarner) at least provides RT (in ClearQAM), I
haven't bothered.