[mythtv-users] Can I mythexport without transcoding?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 3 16:05:27 UTC 2010

On Friday, September 03, 2010 09:58:47 am John Baab wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd like a way to export my recordings to an RSS feed I could subscribe
> > to from another computer. I want the exports to retain their default
> > resolution / bitrate / etc and since they're MPG I assume they will play
> > on other Windows / Linux / Mac machines without issue.  I've
> > successfully mythexported recordings to iPod format but it appears that
> > mythexport sends everything through ffmpeg and transcodes it. Is there a
> > way to use mythexport (I'm open to other methods) to create a
> > non-transcoded RSS feed?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> The symlink option should work for you.  Just be careful about how
> much data you may be pushing around.

Indeed, if this is for use on your local network you should be OK.

But most residential internet accounts have glacial outbound speeds, measured in bits per fortnight. If you plan to export
video to the outside world you may need to upgrade to a business class account and pay for reasonable upstream bandwidth.

Transcoding is a way to reduce the amount of data you need to export.

Running a server of any sort often violates the TOS for residential accounts, just something to be aware of.