[mythtv-users] is it really 29.97 fps or 24 fps?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 3 18:37:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 11:31 -0700, Kevin Ross wrote:

> It's already been telecined long before it gets to your house.  Long
> before it gets to the cable company, even.

Yeah, that makes sense, somewhat.  But why then when stepping through a
frame a time with either mplayer or mythfrontend, can I not see the
evidence of the telecining?  Not a single frame looks interlaced and
with mplayer, it even displays 24 frames per second -- I can count 24,
single stepping through them.

I am aware, yes, of mplayer's ability to analyse the mpeg header to
determine if a 29.9 fps stream really is 24 fps (as in the case of
movies on DVDs) and play at 24 fps, but mplayer usually tells you when
it's doing that and I don't see any of those tell-tale signs with this
stream.

b.