[mythtv-users] HD recordings playback with black borders on top and bottom

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 22:44:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

I set up a new system and all my recordings from firewire seem to
exhibit this same problem.  There is a black border on the top and the
bottom but no borders on the side.  This basically distorts the
recording because it resizes it to only be about 2/3 of its normal
height.  I checked to make sure adjust fill is off.  I am trying to
figure out what other setting would affect this.  I also turned off
use gui size for tv playback, and while that made the recording fill
more of the screen, it did not fill the screen.  If I change the auto
fill setting to full, it fills up the screen, but there is overscan,
and I suspect what is happening is that my image is being scaled down
and then scaled up, which seems like an unideal situation.

For comparison, I play the same file in mplayer and it fills the screen.

I feel like I am missing something obvious here.