[mythtv-users] Just upgraded one front end from .23-fixes to .23.1 now broken

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 4 09:09:56 UTC 2010

  On 09/04/2010 04:00 AM, Paul Gray wrote:
> On 03/09/2010 22:05, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 09/03/2010 03:18 PM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>>> So the bottom line is you can't upgrade from .23-fixes* to 23.1 23.2
>>> etc..(while keeping the backend at .23-fixes ?
>> No, you just have to upgrade /all/ of your systems equally. 0.23.1 is
>> just an semi-arbitrary point within 0.23-fixes. If you don't upgrade
>> your backend /past/ that point, it can not communicate with a 0.23.1
>> frontend or backend.
>>
>> That said, the only truly supported configuration is to use the exact
>> same revision SVN revision and branch on all systems. So, really, you
>> should be using 0.23-fixes r25397--which /is/ 0.23.1--on all systems or
>> you should use 0.23-fixes r26057 (most current revision of 0.23-fixes)
>> on all systems or...
> I never realised that before. I'd imagine that running exactly the same
> version on all systems would be infeasible for a large proportion of
> users. In my case, for example, I use opensuse packages for BE, and
> minimyth for FE. There's no synchronisation between those releases
> as far as I know. You just get a random selection of 0.23-fixes
> revisions on each that probably rarely correspond.  This is the first
> case that I've seen where the disparity has caused a problem.

Generally, we try to make different revisions across a release number
work with each other, but we don't guarantee that they will.  If there's
ever a non-compatible change in the -fixes branch, the plan is to update
the release number--that's actually where 0.23.1 came from.

So, with that in mind, you can choose to run differing revisions of
0.23-fixes on your systems.  However, you must run compatible
revisions--so that means all revisions must be within the 0.23 release
range or within the 0.23.1 release range.

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.23 and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.23.1 for revision number
ranges.

Mike