[mythtv-users] Upgrading to 0.23.1

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 4 23:46:50 UTC 2010

  On 9/4/2010 2:48 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

>     You might give "aptitude upgrade" a shot instead of apt-get..  I find
>     it doesn't "keep back" packages like apt-get does a lot of times.
>
>     -Greg
>

> Apt-get will keep back packages usually when it has to add new
> packages, or dependency issues aren't met.  Do an apt-get -s
> dist-upgrade. dist-upgrade will tell it to install those packages
> resolving dependency issues. -s is simulation, so it only shows you
> what it would do.

well, I ran "sudo aptitude upgrade" and got the following:

hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/etc$ sudo aptitude upgrade
W: The "upgrade" command is deprecated; use "safe-upgrade" instead.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Resolving dependencies...
   libmyth-0.23-0{a} mythgallery mythmovies mythmusic mythtv-backend{a}
   mythtv-common{a} mythtv-frontend{a} mythtv-transcode-utils{a} mythvideo
   mythweather
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   firefox-3.5{u} firefox-3.5-branding{u} libfftw3-3{u} libmyth-0.22-0{u}
   xulrunner-1.9.1{u} xulrunner-1.9.1-gnome-support{u}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 61.7MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

As you can see, it wants to remove some things, but still says that the
myth packages will not be upgraded.  When I tried "sudo apt-get -s
dist-upgrade", I got the same result as earlier: no packages added or
removed, and the myth packages set to not be upgraded.

Any ideas?
Harry