[mythtv-users] Upgrading to 0.23.1

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 5 15:47:00 UTC 2010

  On 9/4/2010 8:00 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>  On 9/4/2010 7:49 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Harry Devine<lifter89 at comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Apt-get will keep back packages usually when it has to add new
>>> packages, or
>>> dependency issues aren't met.  Do an apt-get -s dist-upgrade.
>>> dist-upgrade
>>> will tell it to install those packages resolving dependency issues.
>>> -s is
>>> simulation, so it only shows you what it would do.

>>> well, I ran "sudo aptitude upgrade" and got the following:
>>>
>>> hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/etc$ sudo aptitude upgrade
>>> W: The "upgrade" command is deprecated; use "safe-upgrade" instead.
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> Reading extended state information
>>> Initializing package states... Done
>>> Writing extended state information... Done
>>> Resolving dependencies...
>>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>>    libmyth-0.23-0{a} mythgallery mythmovies mythmusic mythtv-backend{a}
>>>    mythtv-common{a} mythtv-frontend{a} mythtv-transcode-utils{a}
>>> mythvideo
>>>    mythweather
>>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>>    firefox-3.5{u} firefox-3.5-branding{u} libfftw3-3{u}
>>> libmyth-0.22-0{u}
>>>    xulrunner-1.9.1{u} xulrunner-1.9.1-gnome-support{u}
>>> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 10 not
>>> upgraded.
>>> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 61.7MB will be freed.
>>> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
>>>

>>> As you can see, it wants to remove some things, but still says that
>>> the myth
>>> packages will not be upgraded.  When I tried "sudo apt-get -s
>>> dist-upgrade",
>>> I got the same result as earlier: no packages added or removed, and
>>> the myth
>>> packages set to not be upgraded.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Harry
>> Sounds like somehow your dependencies are messed up from either a
>> dist-upgrade or similar..  I'm pretty new to debian (so apt-get,
>> aptitude as well)..  Not quite sure how to fix it..
>>
> I wonder if upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 will help?  I hadn't done that
> yet since the main OS was working so well for me.
>
> Harry

OK, so I upgraded to 10.04 last night and, after dealing with an LIRC
issue (stopped working, had to play with it for a bit to fix it), I see
that I'm in the same boat.  I'm at the same myth version, and the "sudo
aptitude upgrade" doesn't list any myth packages.  As far as Ubuntu is
concerned, everything is up-to-date.  Here's what my mythbackend version
reports, in case anyone is interested.

hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/etc/lirc$ mythbackend --version
MythTV Version   : 25423
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
Network Protocol : 23056
Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
QT Version       : 4.5.2
Options compiled in:
  linux debug using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libudev using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg

Maybe I need to reinstall mythbuntu-repos?  I did go into the Mythbuntu
Control Center and saw that 0.23.1 was selected, so I'm still unsure why
the newer 0.23.1 packages aren't being found.

Thanks,
Harry