[mythtv-users] TV Tuners in MythTV for Windows

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 05:26:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 23:12, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>  On 9/6/2010 00:30, Overlord wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking to make an htpc using xbmc and mythbox
>>

> Please reconsider this.  The 'mythbox' scripts ignore the database schema
> versioning, and XBMC bypasses the backend protocol checks.

XBMC's built-in support uses the (well maintained) libcmyth library as
a base, doing what it can to use version-specific calls to myth's
ever-changing interface, and conforming to the Myth backend protocol
as much as possible, even going so far as to maintain a whole slew of
protocol options to remain compatible with older backend protocols.
Something, I hasten to add, that Myth itself does not do.

Given the size, the monolithic nature and the general version
incompatibility of libmythtv, what else do you recommend? And while
MythTV's frontend is good, it's nowhere near the polish and
filetype/hardware support level of XBMC.

I will, however, add that XBMC's support on Linux is second-to-none,
better even than it's Windows support, and Linux is MythTV's home
turf. So you would be better off building your HTPC using Mythbuntu as
a base, and installing the XBMC Live packages (Or starting with XBMC
Live and installing Mythbuntu's packages, either would work), rather
than having to jump through all the compatibility problems, and lack
of support, for either platform on Windows.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston