[mythtv-users] Hardware for MythTV

Thomas Mashos tgm4883 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 15:13:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 8:00 AM, JCA <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:

>   After a couple of years with MythTV 0.20 I am about to embark in a
> full upgrade - not only MythTV but also the Linux box running it. What
> kind of specs should my new box aim to meet? My current box is built
> around a Pentium 4 at 3 GHz, with 1 GB of memory, an Nvidia FX 5200
> video card and a Hauppauge PVR 150 capture card. I would like to
> capture HD video (which implies a new capture card - which one?) and
> this platform does not play well (if at all) HD videos - at best they
> are jerky.
>
>   Will getting a multicore box help here?

Capture card wise it depends on where you are at and what you want to
record. I've got a HDPVR (records component) and a pcHDTV 5500 and like them
both. I've also heard great things about the HDHomerun. But i'm in the US,
so if you live somewhere else you might need something different.

I just picked up one of these for a frontend
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-mag-hd-nd01.html and loaded Mythbuntu 10.04 on
it. Everything seems to work OOTB and it plays back HD just fine.

Thomas