[mythtv-users] Happague HVR-950Q woes

Robert Lynn Jr rjlynn at sixteentwelvemedia.net
Mon Sep 6 18:06:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Carl Foner <foner at usa.net> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 23:07:20 -0700
>> From: Robert Lynn Jr <rjlynn at sixteentwelvemedia.net>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] Happague HVR-950Q woes
>> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm new here, and I got a brain teaser for ya. I've got MythTV 0.23
>> running,
>> using a Happague HVR-950Q USB stick tuner. I have both the ClearQAM and
>> analog tuners working correctly. But, when I'm using the MythTV front end,
>> eventually, my keyboard becomes nonresponsive, and I have to alt-tab out
>> and
>> kill the frontend.
>>
>> The tuner works just fine. However, the keyboard becoming nonresponsive is
>> deal breaker. No such thing happens when using XBMC to connect to the
>> backend and view live TV, so I BELIEVE it's a frontend issue. dmesg
>> doesn't
>> bring anything useful, either.
>>
>> I'm using a ZOTAC ionitx-g-e mainboard, and a HP wireless USB keyboard.
>> I'm
>> kinda leaning on it being that the USB bus may be a little overloaded, and
>> that's why, but that wouldn't explain why I can alt-tab out. Where should
>> start troubleshooting?
>>
>> Oh, and has anyone gotten the remote to work?
>>
>> Thanks ahead of time,
>> Rob Lynn
>>

> Rob,
>
> Can you tell me how you got the 950Q analog tuner working properly? I've
> been working on it for a while. I can usually get the video to work, but I
> haven't gotten the audio to work reliably. I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04. I
> haven't had any keyboard trouble on my end, but I'm using a wired keyboard.
>
> - Carl

Carl,

I had two issues with audio: First, my TV didn't like a 32kHz sample rate,
giving me weird sounding audio. So, I had to change that to 48kHz. Second,
the audio kept dropping, and my hunch was that it was video frame-dropping.
It seems to have improved quite a bit since I moved to a 7200rpm drive. So
for you, it could either be that, or maybe an overloaded USB bus.