[mythtv-users] Advice on small FE, please

john blue rwc at bestpond.com
Tue Sep 7 03:25:23 UTC 2010

I have running a BE/FE and a slave B/E on two solid desktops (AMD Athlon X64) using Opensese 11.3 and running  binaries
of Mythtv 23 in Australia, receiving Free to air channels in SD & HD  (PAL).

We are putting a replacement TV about 32", either LCD or plasma to replace an older CRT Samsung into a bedroom. This
will be wall mounted fairly high. I have ethernet (Gig) and wireless "n" available, and am looking at options to feed
mythtv to that TV. The particular need is to view recordings, videos, play music, and perhaps see the photo gallery.
Live TV can be accessed via the new TV if needed.

I have seen details of the Zotac ZBox and am looking at the HD-ID11 which is mentioned in an earlier thread, and I note
that it has a mount which may get it behind the tv or at least mounted nearby. Most comments I have seen on these mini-
itx systems raise issues with heat or the handling of HD recordings.

I have also seen mention of various UpNP media devices, some which are basically audio devices, and others handle some
level of video feed. (many of which have not been seen in Australia to my knowledge.)

Can I ask for advice on two issues here:
1. Is the Zotac HD-ID11 confirmed as able to do the job as a frontend for HD recordings, are there any real issues which
would cause the WAF to plummet?

Or would it be better to build a mini-itx (or slightly bigger)system with better video improved cooling etc.

2. Are there any small UpNP media players, now available  that could do the job? Or any major limitations with UpNP that
would make it unsuitable in this scenario.

I would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
john
--

John Blue