[mythtv-users] Advice on small FE, please

Andrew C. Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Tue Sep 7 17:47:28 UTC 2010

  On 06/09/2010 11:25 PM, john blue wrote:
> I have running a BE/FE and a slave B/E on two solid desktops (AMD Athlon X64) using Opensese 11.3 and running  binaries
> of Mythtv 23 in Australia, receiving Free to air channels in SD&  HD  (PAL).
>
> We are putting a replacement TV about 32", either LCD or plasma to replace an older CRT Samsung into a bedroom. This
> will be wall mounted fairly high. I have ethernet (Gig) and wireless "n" available, and am looking at options to feed
> mythtv to that TV. The particular need is to view recordings, videos, play music, and perhaps see the photo gallery.
> Live TV can be accessed via the new TV if needed.
>
> I have seen details of the Zotac ZBox and am looking at the HD-ID11 which is mentioned in an earlier thread, and I note
> that it has a mount which may get it behind the tv or at least mounted nearby. Most comments I have seen on these mini-
> itx systems raise issues with heat or the handling of HD recordings.
>
> I have also seen mention of various UpNP media devices, some which are basically audio devices, and others handle some
> level of video feed. (many of which have not been seen in Australia to my knowledge.)
>
> Can I ask for advice on two issues here:
> 1. Is the Zotac HD-ID11 confirmed as able to do the job as a frontend for HD recordings, are there any real issues which
> would cause the WAF to plummet?
>
> Or would it be better to build a mini-itx (or slightly bigger)system with better video improved cooling etc.
>
> 2. Are there any small UpNP media players, now available  that could do the job? Or any major limitations with UpNP that
> would make it unsuitable in this scenario.
>
> I would welcome any comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> john
For what its worth, I'm using an earlier Zotac board (the Ionitx-a-u) as
a dedicated front end hooked up to a Sony Bravia 32" lcd via an hdmi cable.

As others on this list have commented, this machine is a little
underpowered to use as a "real" computer (by current standards), but it
has performed almost flawlessly as a dedicated front end.  I have have
the dual core, and while I was not using any fans for the longest time,
I recently had to add one small fan to my homemade case, which is wired
through a thermally controller speed controller... almost noiseless.

In my case as well, the TV that it was going to be paired with is
mounted fairly high up the wall, and I was trying to minimize exposed
wiring/components/etc, I ended up building a "shadow box" style picture
frame and mounted the board and a DVD drive inside of it.  The frame is
mounted on the wall beside the tv with the cords running through the wall.

Issues I've had:
1.    I could NOT get HD playback stable on the wireless, and for the
longest time it was a net booted machine, which I could also not get
working over wireless (enc keys, etc).
2.    My other issue with the board (which has been apparently fixed on
subsequent hw revisions) was getting wake on usb to work so I could
suspend the machine when not in use, and they wake via wireless
keyboard/remote.

I guess the question to ask yourself is:  Is this machine *ever* going
to be used for anything else?  Is so, I'd probably stay away from
another atom based board myself, but using it only for myth... I have no
regrets.