[mythtv-users] Aspect ration wierdness?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 18:19:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Jan Johansson <j2 at mupp.net> wrote:
>>Have you checked your display size settings in xorg.conf?  I recently
>>put together a new system and had some similar issues (4:3 would play
>>back fine, 16:9 would be distorted with black bars above and below the
>>image).  I followed the wiki page of defining a display size and also
>>defining dpi and everything worked.
>
> That’s all checked. And recordings from the old STB still plays back “as
> expected”.
>

>>Also, when you say that you changed the settings in the STB, how
>>exactly did you do that?  Did you go into the service by turning off
>>the box and holding select when turning it on (or something like
>>that)?
>

> The provider uses a customized firmware, the only settings for video are
>

> 4:3, 16:9 Auto, 16:9 Adapted

It does sound like the STB is putting out something funky.  One final
sanity check I would recommend is playing the file back in mplayer and
seeing how it is handled there.  I assume you will get the same result
and myth is giving, which would indicate that it is indeed a STB
issue.

Any chance of getting a new STB?  Also, how are you capturing?