[mythtv-users] Frontend hangs on playing recordings from a channel

Thomas Aeby aeby at graeff.com
Tue Sep 7 20:10:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,

(mythtv 0.21)
since a few weeks I have an issue with one channel ("Das Erste" via
DVB-S): Recordings are made, but whenever I try playing them via
mythfrontend, the frontend just hangs. If I wait in the recordings list
until the preview is to start playing, the frontend hangs too. Also, in
mythweb, the preview still image is missing. When trying to re-build
recordedseek on those recordings, mythtranscode reads the entire mpg
appareantly without finding positions. Live TV does not work, either.

The frontend reports "NVP: Prebuffer wait timed out 10 times" when trying
to play the recordings, however none of the issues listed in the respecting
wiki page seem to apply.

The problem appears on all the frontend computers running here (from minimyth
to ubuntu+mythtv). The backend runs Mythtv 0.21 on Debian Etch.

Unfortunately, since the setup is rather large (backend server with a number
of frontends), I cannot quickly try out newer mythtv versions since unfortunately
I'd have to upgrade all of them in parallel.

The format of the mpeg stream might have changed recently, however, the
MPEGS are playing fine when using xine, mplayer and any other player I
tried out (including projectX I use for cutting recordings).

Have you got any hint for me?

Best regards,
Tom