[mythtv-users] Database update

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 8 01:20:03 UTC 2010

  On 09/07/2010 07:14 PM, Joe Henley wrote:
> I'm upgrading my Myth "system" from version 0.21 to 0.23.1.  It's
> being driven mostly by hardware changes, but I also think it's time to
> clean it up a bit.  So I'm not keeping and updating the database, I'm
> rebuilding it all from scratch.
>
> It's pretty well set and I've found descriptions of how to reload the
> data base with music file info and recorded program info.  All the
> (hardware) settings are being manually loaded as there is alot of new
> hardware and many of these settings are "garbagy" due to prior goofs.
>
> I just realized I want to keep my history of shows watched (so it
> doesn't re-record them) and I would like to keep my list of programs
> to record.  I've dug thru the database (used phpMyAdmin) and found the
> following tables which I think contain all the info I need.
> oldrecorded
> record
> recorded
> recordedprogram
>
> These tables exist in both the 0.21 and 0.23.1 databases.  I'm a
> complete novice with MySQL.  Could someone please help me with whether
> these are all I'll need to transfer and also with how I would go about
> transferring the data.
>
> Thanks for any and all help!

Doing what you plan is a complete and total waste of time--there will be
no performance or storage or other difference after doing a partial
import.  A partial restore is only really useful as a "last ditch"
effort when you have corruption of the database schema.

If you want to clear out the hardware configuration, do both the capture
card and video sources portion of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .

If you still feel you must do the partial restore, at least do it right:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_when_upgrading_MythTV
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup.2C_including_plugin_data

and in the end, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you caused
your MythTV upgrade to take several hours (or days) more of your time
than it needed to.  :)

Mike