[mythtv-users] Database update

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 8 01:57:48 UTC 2010

  On 09/07/2010 09:20 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>  On 09/07/2010 07:14 PM, Joe Henley wrote:
>> I'm upgrading my Myth "system" from version 0.21 to 0.23.1.
>
> Doing what you plan is a complete and total waste of time--there will
> be no performance or storage or other difference after doing a partial
> import.

Oh, I suppose I should at least tell you what the recommended course of
action is.

I highly recommend doing a complete backup:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Database_Backup

then place the backup somewhere safe (maybe even on a spare USB flash
drive or whatever if you want to be really safe), then do the upgrade,
then if you need it (i.e. you replaced the operating system when doing
the upgrade or your have new hardware or whatever), restore the complete
backup:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_a_specific_backup_file
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database

Ideally, keep your hostname and IP address identical before and after
the upgrade.  If you don't, you must do:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

before you run any MythTV applications at all against the restored database.

Mike