[mythtv-users] mythweb not displaying newly-added channel icons

David Lasker dave at altosdesign.com
Wed Sep 8 19:51:06 UTC 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, 7:07 PM, mtdean at thirdcontact wrote:
>Remember that to read a file, one must be able to access the location in
>which that file is stored, too (so check directory permissions leading
>up to that file).

Duh! I feel pretty stupid now...

>As a point of note, it's a very rare configuration that allows multiple
>different users to access the home directory of any user. So, if your
>frontend and backend use different users, storing icons in (someone's)
>~/.mythtv directory is probably not a good approach to use...

That's where the backend-setup channel editor stores its downloaded icons.
The wiki page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_icons also instructs its
readers to put icons there. I agree it's not a sensible place for them.

When I first set up my system, my home directory was group and world
readable, so the icons worked in mythweb. Later, I locked down my home
directory so I could use sshd "PasswordAuthentication no".

However, I don't understand is why those icons that I added before my
home-directory lock-down continued to display in mythweb after the lockdown.
Are the icons copied/cached somewhere else besides the path in the channel
table "icon" field?

In any case, all is working now.

Thanks for the help!

Dave