[mythtv-users] mythweb not displaying newly-added channel icons

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 8 20:30:15 UTC 2010

  On 09/08/2010 03:51 PM, David Lasker wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2010, 7:07 PM, mtdean at thirdcontact wrote:
>> Remember that to read a file, one must be able to access the location in
>> which that file is stored, too (so check directory permissions leading
>> up to that file).
> Duh! I feel pretty stupid now...

No worries.  It's actually a common mistake.  :)  (As a matter of fact,
nothing in your post specifically led me to believe that was the problem
for you, but since it's so commonly an issue, it was worth mentioning.)

>> As a point of note, it's a very rare configuration that allows multiple
>> different users to access the home directory of any user. So, if your
>> frontend and backend use different users, storing icons in (someone's)
>> ~/.mythtv directory is probably not a good approach to use...
> That's where the backend-setup channel editor stores its downloaded icons.
> The wiki page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_icons also instructs its
> readers to put icons there. I agree it's not a sensible place for them.

Yeah, the channel icon stuff will eventually be refactored to use a real
Storage Group (likely the "Miscellaneous" Storage Group--whatever we end
up calling it--with a subdirectory for the channel icons).

The $HOME/.mythtv directory used to be the only place that the frontend
(which used to be the only user of the icons) was guaranteed to have
write access.

> When I first set up my system, my home directory was group and world
> readable, so the icons worked in mythweb. Later, I locked down my home
> directory so I could use sshd "PasswordAuthentication no".
>
> However, I don't understand is why those icons that I added before my
> home-directory lock-down continued to display in mythweb after the lockdown.
> Are the icons copied/cached somewhere else besides the path in the channel
> table "icon" field?
>
> In any case, all is working now.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Yeah, MythWeb caches its own copy of the icons since the MythWeb host
may be across the network (so MythWeb never actually reads the channel
icon directly, but requests it from mythbackend).

Mike