[mythtv-users] Anyone successfully use a hacked NAS box as a backend?

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 8 23:37:20 UTC 2010

On September 8, 2010, jedi wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 12:20:27PM -0700, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Shoot, maybe I should rename "PlugMyth" to "KirkMyth" to indicate it's
> > > not just for Plug form factor devices...
> >
> > Next is SpockMyth?
> >
> > This is rather intriguing to me.  Hmm.  Using a NAS box as a backend via
> > USB/network tuners may not be the worst idea in the world.  Hopefully
> > someone can get it working and make a howto for a model or two of NAS.
> >
> >  Would solve the "how should I cram more drives into this case"
> >  dilemma...
>
>     There seem to be enough interesting ARM devices lurking about and
> coming on the market that a well targeted ARM based speciality Myth distro
> might be in order. Are there any good non-Myth-specific ones already?

The biggest problem is that ARM devices aren't standardized like i386 devices.
i386 boxes have a very standard bios that can be told where to look for an
operating system in a very normal way.  ARM devices end up with customized
version of uboot if you are lucky.  So every new device that needs to be
supported needs to have a little work done to figure out its boot loader.
Once that is done, Debian is a great general purpose distribution with ARM
support.  Ubuntu is good with only certain newer chips (not Kirkwood).  There
are also ports of Gentoo, Slackware, and Fedora to ARM, but I don't know
anything about them.

Mark