[mythtv-users] h.264 DTT problem in NZ

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 01:24:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Alex and Gina Johnson
<atj at paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> My problem here in NZ is that I get a good video signal, but constantly get
> buffer underrun errors / NVP prebuffer and jittery sound.
>
> I have tried everything that I can find including re-complies, changing my
> tv setting profiles, turning sound off and on, changing my sound profile.
>
> I know about Paul Kendall’s LATM patch and thought I had compiled to
> accommodate it
>

> Any ideas of what I may have missed?
>

> I am running Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid ;
>
> P4 3.2 GHz
>
> 3 GB RAM
>
> 80 GB SATA HDD and 1TB external USB HDD
>
> ATI HD 4650 AGP 1GB DDR graphics
>
> Soundblaster pro (oldie but a goodie)
>

> mythtv-0.23.0+fixes24158
>
> ffmpeg_4:SVN-r24796-1_i386.deb
>
> FFmpeg version SVN-r24796, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
>
>   built on Aug 22 2010 13:08:03 with gcc 4.4.3
>
>   configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree
> --enable-postproc --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame
> --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora
> --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab
>
>   libavutil     50.23. 0 / 50.23. 0
>
>   libavcore      0. 4. 0 /  0. 4. 0
>
>   libavcodec    52.85. 1 / 52.85. 1
>
>   libavformat   52.78. 2 / 52.78. 2
>
>   libavdevice   52. 2. 1 / 52. 2. 1
>
>   libavfilter    1.34. 1 /  1.34. 1
>
>   libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0
>
>   libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
>

> root at Vadar:~/ffmpeg# mythfrontend --version
>
> Please include all output in bug reports.
>
> MythTV Version   : exported
>
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
>
> Network Protocol : 56
>
> Library API      : 0.23.20100314-1
>
> QT Version       : 4.6.2
>
> Options compiled in:
>
> linux release using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack using_pulseoutput
> using_backend using_directfb using_dvb using_frontend using_hdpvr using_iptv
> using_ivtv using_libudev using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
> using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
> using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw
> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau
> using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg
>

> from my configure.log
>
>    ./configure --enable-libfaad --disable-joystick-menu --disable-firewire
> --disable-hdhomerun --prefix=/usr/local

1. If you aren't already you might like to join the mythtvnz mailing list -

2. Is this on all channels? I think TV3 has a ac3 audio stream as well as
the AAC one, does it work better/differently if you change audio streams?

3. Are you sure your system is up to decoding h.264 in the CPU? I would have
serious doubts and this may be the source of your problems. Hate to say it
but ATI has no hardware acce;eration for decoding video in linux, you may be
better with an nVidia GT220 or similar card, and activate VDPAU.