[mythtv-users] Ways to jump to a window at startup

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Thu Sep 9 07:07:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm looking into programming some buttons on my remote to launch
mythfrontend directly into various screens. For instance say a user
presses the "Guide" button, mythfrontend launches and the user is
immediately presented with the EPG. Bypassing the menus.

The only way I can think of is to launch mythfrontend then frantically
poll the telnet socket so I can send it a jump command before the menu
is displayed. Haven't tried it (yet) but it seems this will flicker
since the main menu will display briefly then be replaced by the
desired screen. Not a great user experience, but acceptable.

Has anyone done this? Is there a more elegant way?

NB. Sadly the only relevant command-line option I could find is one to
launch a plugin. So MythVideo could be started this way but not the
EPG or the watch recordings screen.

Cheers
Chris