[mythtv-users] Most Cost Effective Portable Frontend

Brian Fischer brianafischer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 17:08:55 UTC 2010

> I've been very happy with some 3 yr old Dell D830 Latitude's running
> vdpau, (normal not high vdpau) 15.4" with 1920x1200 displays. Can dock
> to DVI and then HDMI. Cost likely much more favourable. Need 2G RAM and
> the NVS-140M video card version. I've posted previously.
It seems this option is better than a $300 netbook as it will play flash.
However, the DVI->HDMI adapter will not provide digital audio.

Are you using analog audio to the TV from the docking station?
Is there a docking station that has a HDMI and S/PDIF port?
Are there any issues/limitations with this laptop on linux?

> Whether extra cost (significant?) justifies the small improvement that
high vdpau has,
> is for you to decide. (Not to mention the 1920x1200 screens are hard to
get in 15.4".)
> Can also get a 2nd modular battery if wants. N WiFi is a better option to
consider.
> I've got 2.0 and 2.2 C2D CPU's, they were available upto 2.6, however so
long as all
> your apps run in vdpau, 2.0 is heaps. Game over.
It looks like a D830 with nVidia + docking station + a few extras may work.

Thanks!