[mythtv-users] Do GeForce GT220s run hot? Was rebooting my system on anything above VDAPUA slim.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 01:46:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > My question is would a 220 with 512 megs of ram run cooler
>
> Not appreciably. RAM does generate heat, yes, but insignificant
> compared to the GPU.
>
> > Would replacing the 3 case fans with
> > something more efficient be advisable?
>
> Hang on, I think you have a more basic problem if the GPU fan + two
> case fans + PS fan can't keep the thing cool. Are you sure the GPU fan
> is even running? 96°C sounds like the temperature of a passively
> cooled GPU. Is the GPU fan intake situated really close to something
> else that would restrict it's ability to suck air?
>
> If you had case ventilation issues, I'd expect the CPU to be hot too,
> which again points to a problem with the GPU... maybe one of your GPU
> heatsink mounting pins has popped loose or something. In short, I
> would look to the video card's physical situation before doing
> anything else.

My GT8400GS with fan was recently found to be reporting 148 degC, and
playing back dreadfully..

I blew the considerable amount of dust out of the case, fans, heatsinks etc
and turned the machine on again and card ran at 72 deg. All seemed sweet.
However over a period of time it rose to about 100. Taking another look the
GPU fan is not working and looks hard to replace. The fan looks designed for
the heatsink, and finding a replacement heatsink isn't easy either.

I'll probably get a fan sorted and then find the damn thing is cooked
anyway.

*sigh* all i need after the quake!