[mythtv-users] Cablevision requiring STB for all TVs in my area soon

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Sep 10 02:31:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 19:42 -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Fred <ffluvssg1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It seems that getting CableCards for MythTV is premature, right? I won't be
> >> able to use them for months, at least.
> >
> > That's right.  The only release date we have for the hardware is
> > "later this year", but they're working with the mythtv developers and
> > support for the hardware is already scheduled to be in the next MythTV
> > release, even though the hardware isn't here yet.
> >

> You're not referring to somehow recording encrypted sources in MythTV
> directly from a cable card are you?  My understanding has always been
> that anything like that could never happen as it would violate the
> cable card host license agreement...that is making any unencrypted
> content available on a user accessible bus.

The cable card license agreement recently changed to allow "copy
freely" content to be made available to 3rd party PVR applications
like MythTV, SageTV, BeyondTV, GB-PVR, etc.

Restricted channels like HBO will still only be available to TiVo
and Windows 7 users with a Cable Labs certified output device chain.
But any channel which is only encrypted as a means of access control
(i.e. to make sure only customers that pay for it see it) will be
available to paying customers using MythTV. Generally this would be
the same as the channels currently available via Firewire.

-- Daniel