[mythtv-users] Do GeForce GT220s run hot? Was rebooting my system on anything above VDAPUA slim.

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Fri Sep 10 14:37:29 UTC 2010

Gabe Rubin wrote:

So I determined that my card runs at 54 when idle.  It runs as hot as
96 when under load (VDPAU high quality playing a 1080i mpeg2 firewire
capture)

This seems excessively hot.  Fortunately, it does not affect the
motherboard speeds.

My question is would a 220 with 512 megs of ram run cooler and should
I be concerned about this heat aside from the fact that life of the
card will probably be short?  Would replacing the 3 case fans with
something more efficient be advisable?

I have two 220s one MSI passivly cooled and one ASUS half hight with a fan, both 1 GB.

I suspected heat problems with my three DVB-S2 PCI cards in my combined BE/FE because the fan on the GT9500 I used earlier was nearly touching the closest DVB-S2 card.
I first replaced it with the ASUS 220 and the powerconsumption of the BE/FE dropped by 10 watts. I can't quite remember the temperature on this card but I think it was quite low both idle and under load with VDPAU. Probably not more than 40-50 degrees celsius.
I then replaced the ASUS with the MSI card because of the noise from the fan. I think this also runs in the 40-50 degrees celsius region.
The temperature of CPU, MB and five disks is quite stable in the 38-45 degrees celsius region.

Have you checked the thermal compound between the heatsink and the GPU?
I have experienced several cases of the compound being bad on brand new video cards.