[mythtv-users] how to resolve a suboptimal scheduling situation

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Sep 10 15:41:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 07:29:26PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>  On 09/09/2010 06:24 PM, David Engel wrote:
> >   Since
> >he's usually the first line of support on the mailing lists and irc, I
> >don't try to overtly contradict him.
>
> Though you've been taking first line on all the recent scheduler
> threads, so feel free to contradict. :)

:) I try to jump in when I see scheduler relate messages.  Sometimes,
though, I get in a hurry skimming the lists, get a little happy with
the delete key and wind up missing them.

> because of the non-rule priorities).  The section in the HOWTO does
> a wonderful job of explaining all the details and things you
> wouldn't have even thought to question or situations you would have
> forgotten about.  David, Bruce M, and Robert K did a wonderful job
> with that section.  So, read up on section 12, then use your
> new-found knowledge to make your decision (and, of course, feel free
> to ask questions, if you have any).

I don't mean to diminish Robert's contribution (it has been a long
time), but I believe that section is almost all Bruce's work.  At
best, all I did was proof check it.

> Also, it's important to realize that sometimes, you may just need to
> override the scheduler's decision with a recording override because
> of how rules, priorities, schedule (including what airs concurrently
> as well as program overlap), tuner allocation, etc. line up.  In
> other words, a single prioritization scheme may not work for an
> entire season (let alone multiple different seasons).  The goal

Absolutely.  Even I don't try to make Myth always do the right thing
with my schedule.  It usually does a good job, but it's not uncommon
for me to sprinkle in an override when needed.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net