[mythtv-users] Can't reexport SMB share over NFS...what am I doing wrong?

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Fri Sep 10 18:12:27 UTC 2010

I'm trying to improve video playback performance on a remote frontend that's
connected over 802.11a (until the driver for the WiFi dongle it's using is
updated to support 802.11n...but that's another matter).  Most of what I'm
trying to stream lately has been DVD rips in H.264 that run somewhere around
1-1.5 Mbps; they're served up by a Buffalo LinkStation Quad, which supports SMB
and AFP, but not NFS.  With most files, there are frequent pauses during
playback (maybe every 10-30 seconds), which are annoying.  Some sources I've
run across suggest that NFS has less protocol overhead and should offer better
streaming quality over WiFi, so I figured I'd give it a shot by reexporting the
shared video from my backend/frontend over NFS.

/etc/exports has this entry in it:

/mnt/media 192.168.100.0/255.255.255.0(async,no_subtree_check,rw,insecure)

When I restart NFS, I get this:

exportfs: Warning: /mnt/media does not support NFS export.

I'm already exporting MythTV recordings, the Portage tree (all my Linux boxen
run Gentoo), and some other stuff from the same system over NFS; what's
different about a mounted Samba share that would keep it from being reexported
over NFS?  I could throw more hardware at it (a second DAP-1522 in bridge mode,
plugged into the remote frontend's network jack would upgrade the link to
802.11n now), but that seems like it'd be a bit of a waste.

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us