[mythtv-users] Still no sound in MythTV with WinTV-HVR 950Q

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 18:53:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok so I'm still fighting with MythTv to get audio from my cable connection,
> I have the audio device set to the capture device on my card, I have a
> screenshot of the Input Devices section of mythtv-setup ->
> http://imgur.com/eMZXc.png.  From the console output when starting
> mythfrontend I see a couple of lines that I don't know if it has anything to
> do with my problem:
>
> 2010-09-10 08:34:12.895 Opening audio device 'default'. ch 6(2) sr 48000
> (reenc 0)
>
> 2010-09-10 08:34:12.896 Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
>
> ALSA lib control.c:902:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer
>
> 2010-09-10 08:34:12.929 AudioOutput Warning: Mixer attach error -2: No such
> file or directory
>
>                         Check Mixer Name in Setup: '/dev/mixer'
>
> 2010-09-10 08:34:13.129 ProgramInfo(): Updated pathname '':'' ->
> '1002_20100910083412.nuv'

I would start with some simple checks.

1.  Find a known good recording with audio that you can play back in on
another computer.  This will verify that you have a recording that can
playback sound.
2.  Play back this recording using mplayer on your frontend outside of Myth.
 This will verify that you have good audio output working at the OS leve.
3.  Play back this recording using Myth (either by browsing to it in the
frontend or at the commandline using mythavtest).  This will verify you have
audio output from Myth
4.  Record a show on your 950Q
5.  Play back this recording using Myth (since you already confirmed in Step
3 that you have audio output).  This will verify that your recordings have
sound.

Let me know which step fails and then include logs from that step.  From
your logs above, it sounds like you have Step 3 misconfigured for your Mixer
device which should be set to "default" if you're using ALSA I think (It's
been a while since I checked what mine was set to)

Kevin