[mythtv-users] Can't reexport SMB share over NFS...what am I doing wrong?

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Fri Sep 10 18:54:55 UTC 2010

On 10 Sep 10 11:48, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Scott Alfter <scott at alfter.us> wrote:
>> /etc/exports has this entry in it:
>>
>> /mnt/media 192.168.100.0/255.255.255.0(async,no_subtree_check,rw,insecure)
>>
>> When I restart NFS, I get this:
>>
>> exportfs: Warning: /mnt/media does not support NFS export.
>
> It's been a while since I've tried, but I was under the impression that NFS
> will not re-export mounted filesystems.

This suggests that it should be possible:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:X7RfSEsFSFwJ:book.opensourceproject.org.cn/sysadmin/samba/definitive/opensource/8885final/lib0075.html+reexport+smb+share+over+nfs&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yio&gl=us&strip=1

It might be based on outdated assumptions, though; some googling on "reexport
smb share over nfs" indicates others have also had problems getting it to work,
with no working solutions that I've been able to find.

Why, though, would NFS refuse to reexport a mounted filesystem?  Does it need
some low-level access to the filesystem that a network mount doesn't provide?

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us