[mythtv-users] how to resolve a suboptimal scheduling situation

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Sep 10 19:34:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:20:59PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 10:24 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> >
> > It should be on the same screen with "Reschedule Higher Priorities".
> > I don't have access to a MythTV frontend to double check, but it should
> > be something like Setup / TV / Recording Priorities /... .
>
> Yeah.  I don't see it there.  I have:

Nevermind, it was a PEBKAC.  I saw the '/' priority notation in your
posts and mistakenly assumed you were using the obsolete setting and
completely forgetting I re-used that notation form something else.

> > Unreasonable, no. not if the priorities are equal.
>
> Showing priorities as well as channel priorities?

The total priority.

> > As I recall in
> > yuor cases yesterday, they weren't.
>
> The show priorities were not, no.  I rectified that today (as of my
> the possible 3xD+1xA) recordings.  Right now, all of these shows have
> the same priority (0):
>
> The Middle - "Back to School"         9 WWTI    22 20:00-20:30  1 4 4  A 4 -2/-1
> Survivor: Nicaragua                   3 CIII    22 20:00-21:00  2 1 1  A 1 -1
> Undercovers - "Pilot"                40 CITY    22 20:00-21:00  1 0 0  A E -2
> Undercovers - "Pilot"                 5 WGRZ    22 20:00-21:00  1 5 5  A 5 -2/-1
> Survivor: Nicaragua                   7 WWNY    22 20:00-21:00  1 6 6  A 6 -2/-1
> Better With You - "Pilot"             9 WWTI    22 20:30-21:00  1 4 4  A 4 -2/-1
>
> The -1 on the "3 CIII" is the effect of the (digital) channel priority
> of "1".
>
> > Anyway, the scheduler actually
> > has code to do try to accomplish this IFF the priorities are equal.
>
> Again, are you referring to only the "showing" priorities here?  If so,
> then it's not working as the above shows all have the same (0) priority.

Your current problem is because of the inaccurate guide data.  When
you update the data so that MythTV knows Survivor on WWNY is the same
as Survivor on CIII, it will probably work.  With your current data,
MythTV doesn't know it can move the CIII recording to WWNY.

> > FWIW, that's the questionalbe code I mentioned yesterday.  My thinking
> > is the code should be a slightly more liberal in moving things around.
>
> Ahhh.  So perhaps not quite working.

No, I suspect when you get good guide data it will work exactly as
Bruce intended.  I'm merely suggesting that hueristic be changed so
it's used a little more liberally.

> In any case, here:
>
> 2010-09-10 12:11:50.560 scheduler: Scheduled items: Scheduled 876 items
> in 6.5 = 0.01 match + 6.49 place
>
> Doesn't seem so demanding and I'd put up with double or perhaps even
> triple that to optimize the digital recordings.  Maybe as an optional
> feature.

Some people have reported scheduler times an order of magnitude or
more longer.  Having long scheduler times isn't as bad now (it used to
cause recording glitches and block the UI), still, major alogortitm
changes aren't on my TODO list.

David
--
David Engel