[mythtv-users] how to resolve a suboptimal scheduling situation

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Sep 10 20:29:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 03:50:41PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 14:34 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> > No, I suspect when you get good guide data it will work exactly as
> > Bruce intended.
>
> For this particular case, probably, yes, but I think the guide data
> update is a red herring and for purposes of analysing this sub-optimal
> scheduling situation, one can assume that the "Survivor" on "3 CIII"
> could be a completely different show.

I'm sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it's intended to
work.  Once a show gets scheduled, it generally won't get moved unless
there is no other way to schedule another program.  Now, some *simple*
hueristics have been added over the years to make subtle improvements
and I expect there might be some more in the future.  As I've already
said, however, I don't anticipate any major changes.

> > Some people have reported scheduler times an order of magnitude or
> > more longer.
>
> I could certainly believe it, which is why I would make such a "total
> schedule score analysis" feature optional.  Then people can choose
> between quick scheduling or more optimal scheduling using their
> preferences more accurately.

I sense this discussion quickly devolving into another soft padding
quagmire, which I don't want any part of, so I'm going to beg out of
it.  If you don't know what I'm referring to, please check the
archives.  If you'd like to see your "total schedule score analysis"
idea implemented, you're free to code it up and propose a patch.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net