[mythtv-users] how to resolve a suboptimal scheduling situation

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sat Sep 11 01:29:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 04:45:40PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 15:29 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> > I'm sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it's intended to
> > work.
>
> Well, it's not so much that "I don't like it" as much as I am just
> trying to illustrate another optimization that the scheduler could
> perform that it does not currently.

Conceptually, your idea sounds great.  From past experience, I just
don't think it would be that easy to do.

For example, it would be nice if all you have to deal with are single
recordings clumped into small groups that don't overlap with other
groups.  All you have to do then is identify the groups and run the
permutations on each group separately.

In real life, however, you're likely to have several hours worth of
overlapping recordings and some of those recordings have later
showings that overlap with other recordings and you need to consider
all of them together.  Before you know it, the only safe thing to do
is check every permutation of all recordings and that could take a
long time and be very compute intensive.  Then, even if you did do
that, what do you do if several, wildly different permutations all
result in the same "best" score?

> No hard feelings if nobody wants to.  I know if it gets itchy enough for
> me here I could take a whack at it.
>
> Cheers, and thanks again for all the help and patience.

I don't have any hard feelings and let me know if you do decide to
scratch your itch.

David
--
David Engel