[mythtv-users] Please advice low-profile hybrid tunercard with MPEG decoder

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 11 14:07:57 UTC 2010

On Saturday, September 11, 2010 04:33:40 am Oleg Shirochenkov wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 03:53, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> > Do you mean MPEG2 encoder?  If not, you really don't want to be using
> > such "full featured" cards.  Use a normal video card for output.
>
> I'm sorry, sure, MPEG2 encoder.
>
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 06:06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> > You need to browse the wiki pages under here:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Video_capture_cards
> > where a large number of video capture cards are described.
>
> I did it.
> Not all of them are low-profile, GNU/Linux support of analog tuners is low.
> I have found Beholder X7, but MPEG2 encoder unsupported.
> Hauppauge HVR-2250 is great, but analog tuner almost not working and there
> is no support for SECAM.
> It's not easy to find some "special low-profile" cards saling on ebay.
> I really don't know already how to find the right choice and get rid of
> Windows.

SECAM support is going to be tough. Even SECAM broadcast stations use PAL up until the final line to the transmitter, where
it is converted to SECAM. The main problem is that it's such a limited market that the manufacturers can't justify such
product lines.

Those bottle generators are a pain.

For those who might not know:

System