[mythtv-users] Multi-Input Cards

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Sat Sep 11 14:14:30 UTC 2010

> The real question is do you want something that can let you record 2 or 4
> channels at once, or a single card that has 2 or
> 4 inputs?

Cost will determine the end result justification :). But, the wish list, I can answer.

> Also, do you need on-board encoding, or do you plan to use software
> encoding.

Would very much prefer hardware, on-board encoding to free up CPU as much as possible.

> A unit with 4 encoders would be expensive, a pair of PVR-500s is probably
> the only easy Myth-compatible solution.

Yes, someone mentioned this card and they aren't very costly.

> It really depends on your precise application. If it's a security or just a
> monitoring process you can get a multiplexer
> that will take 4 analog inputs and put them onto a single NTSC screen,
> which would then require only a single encoder.

I mentioned it in another reply but basically, I have multiple satellite receivers, media servers, cd/dvd player, etc, along with a number of security cameras around the house.
Each item is of course at least SD or HD and everything is installed in the basement which is where I house my home theater gear.
When we want to watch hi-res, we head for the living room. When SD or less is fine, we tune in on any TV in the house.

Problem is, all of the channels are mono video modulators. I tried stereo units but found them too expensive when I built this so went with mono. I came across myth years ago but it was overly complex at the time, things have gotten better so wondered if I could use this to finally get at least proper SD if not HD to my TV's over the house network.

> If you want 4 standard Myth encoders, you will need either 4 PVR encoders
> (2 500s), or a LOT of CPU to encode 4 frame
> grabbers at once.

I suppose I could also use multiple backends no? I would prefer one main box but if I can't do it, so be it.