[mythtv-users] MythTV setup - no database

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 23:03:29 UTC 2010

I am a complete mythtv newbie and need a lot of help.  Here are my
experiences so far.

System = Mandriva 2009.1, 2.6.29.1-desktop-4mnb

Devices such as the Hauppage WinTV DVB-T Nova USB stick have been
widely reported as compatible with kernels later that 2.6.27 so I
installed one and the operating system appeared to recognize it once
the firmware file was copied to /lib/firmware.  This created the
/dev/dvb tree and switched on the green LED on the USB device.  There
are two LEDs - presumably for the two tuners (?).

A listing from lsmod contains these entries:

dvb_usb                18764  1 dvb_usb_dib0700
dvb_core              103468  1 dvb_usb
dib3000mc              14056  1 dvb_usb_dib0700
dibx000_common          4068  3 dib7000p,dib7000m,dib3000mc
dib0070                 8356  3 dvb_usb_dib0700

I had already installed MythTV earlier and simply ran the setup
program and the mythfilldatabase --manual command to connect the video
source (antenna) to the tuner card.  Subsequently I was able to scan
for Freeview channels, about half of which came in at 50% to 80%
signal strength.  However when I tried "Watch TV" the screen flashed
and reverted to the menu.  Can't remember the errors - might have been
something to do with the mySQL database.  mysqld was running and so
was the mythtv backend.  What I expected was something to allow me to
choose a channel to watch and optionally record and in addition load
an EPG via xmltv.

After several hours of tinkering I decided to delete all the mythtv
components; urpme -a myth and then delete mythconverg.  Reinstalled
mythtv but the database went missing.  As far as I can remember it
appeared automagically at some point in the first run.  I certainly
did nothing to create it.

The /usr/share/mythtv/initialdb directory contains the script mc.sql
which certainly looks as if it is meant to be run by something;
ownership is root,root and permissions 644.  The text is:

<[lcl at altair ~/.mythtv]$ cat /usr/share/mythtv/initialdb/mc.sql>
CREATE DATABASE if not exists mythconverg;
GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost
IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1;

Knowing nothing about mysql I tried running the individual commands as
above at the mysql prompt.  The response to each was:

"Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)"

No idea where the database is supposed to go and since no record
structure is defined I assume it would be an empty shell to start
with, hence the need for mythfilldatabase --manual later on.

So can anybody give me a clear idea of what I need to do to set up
MythTV again?  How do you create the initial database for instance?
The online manual only tells me to do what I am doing anyway.  No
troubleshooting tips.

Apologies for the length of this query.

Len