[mythtv-users] MythTV setup - no database

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 23:29:15 UTC 2010

On 12/09/10 00:11, Doug Lytle wrote:
> You'll want to start out with running at least Mandriva 2010.0, if not
> 2010.1 to get up-to-date packages of Myth .23 fixes.

Somebody on the expert list offered that advice as well.  The PowerPack
DVD should be arriving soon so I shall wait until then.
> How are you planning on using the system?  Dedicated back end (BE),
> and combo Front End/Back End?
>
> If you're looking for it to be a combo machine, I'd suggest that you
> use a light weight desktop, such as LXDE, it comes along with KDE and
> Gnome on both the 2010.0 and 2010.1 DVDs
>
> Doug

I am not sure what those terms mean (dedicated backend and combo
front/back end).  The Freeview aerial is plugged into the WinTV USB
stick and I was intending to simply watch TV on the same machine using
myth.  I gather that I have to use the commands mythbackend and
mythfrontend to achieve that.  When the system was working partially
there was a message that the backend was running when I invoked mythtv.

Thanks

Len